What is search engine marketing
Search engine marketing; is the way you market your company's products through search engines.
Posted by: Susan El-Nagar
Search engine marketing is a process that includes:
1. search engine optimization, either organic or paid (PPC).
2. Search engine submission.
3. It might also include, other search engine marketing techniques like; keywords research, keywords desnity analysis (KDA), link popularity, or search engine copywriting & metatags enhancement.
- For Example, accesstobusiness.com defines search engine marketing saying that search engine marketing: " encompasses several forms of marketing products and services on the internet through management of information presented by search engines and directories. Included are such elements as site optimization, and the purchase and placement of advertisements."
- Other difinition from anduro.com: " The act of marketing a website via search engines, whether this be improving rank in organic listings, purchasing paid listings or a combination of these and other search engine-related activities."
- As for positioning-search-engines.com they define search engine marketing as: "This is a newer term and separates what was once part of the function of a Search Engine optimizer, Search Engine Marketing specifically is the function of locating, researching, submitting, and positioning a web site within the proper search engines for maximum exposure and effectiveness. SEM may also include the function of choosing the target keywords and keyword phrases for the web site's meta tags."
- A final opinion said by websearchworkshop.co.uk saying that search engine marketing is: "The term used to describe the range of marketing techniques required to make a website visible on search engines and directories so that it will attract visits from its target audience. This includes the optimisation of a site, the submission to directories, the use of 'pay-per-click' search tools and keyword related advertising."
Simple steps towards optimizing your website.
Search Engine marketing plan
Below is a simple study that might help you in improving your websites’ SERP (search engine result pages), search engine ranking, link popularity, contents, code & design.
A- Search engine optimization – Organic results:We are currently, using organic search engine optimization methodologies in order to achieve high organic results on search engines. After applying these methods on different case studies, it has shown boost & improvements in the websites’ page ranking on search engines.Our main and essentail steps used in these search engine optimization process were as follows:
I. Keywords density analysis (KDA):
Choosing the right, & effective Keywords or key-phrases is an essential step towards reaching the targeted audiences.
Steps in choosing your effective Keywords:
1- Keywords research, create a list with required key-phrases list better than choosing single or dual high competitive keywords.
2- Chosen keywords competitiveness analysis.
3- Select effective, relevant key-phrases that have good volume and not highly competitive.
4- Optimize & implement final keywords list in contents and code.
5- Selected keywords shouldn’t be highly competitive, at the same time should be appealing to drive the exact, targeted audience.
II. Link popularity and page ranking:
1- Increase link popularity, and link building using the following methods:
a- Link Exchange.
b- Banner Exchange.
c- Affiliation programs.
d- Text links, through articles, press releases, etc.
2- Enhance Link Quality: efficient link popularity depends on link quality, traffic and ranking of others pages.
3- Theme: create a theme when linking to other websites.
4- Link maintenance and follow-up; make sure your links on other websites is working fine and not broken nor removed.
III. Websites’ design & development:
Design should be both user friendly as well as, search engine friendly, to enable search engine spiders and crawlers to easily index all website pages.
Essential steps to be taken into consideration when designing your website:
1- Error page to be customized.
2- Fix any error links.
3- Create a site map page.
4- Create a robots page.
5- Efficient folders, & files naming.
6- Improve, enhance and tweak meta-tags, anchors, etc.
7- Create and enhance CSS files.
8- Important keywords or phrases to have priority in listing.
9- Minimize image or larger folders sizes in website, to increase functionality, and speed.
IV. Search engine optimization – paid results:
Though PPC methods are highly used nowadys, but users behavior proves that organic results appear to receive better results than paid ones. We will discuss PPC methods in future articles or reviews.
V. Site contents & search engine copywriting:
Effective SEO copywriting and contents are an essential step towards directing long-term targeted audience, driving free traffic to the website (since it increases organic results), and also boost ranking on search engines. Since, “… content is the king” as said by some search engine optimizers, suggest the following steps to improve the contents:
Steps to effective search engine copywriting:
1- Increase site contents, according to the chosen / required keywords.
2- Site contents enhancements and copywriting tweaking to contents and code.
3- Site contents writing/re-writing to be both user appealing, as well as search engines compatible.
4- Optimize metatags and html tags.
5- Optimize amount and text length for website pages.
6- Frequent update to site contents, “Keep it fresh”.
What is online marketing?
Online marketing is another method to market your services, or products on the internet. Since the online market is increasing day after day, you need to drive audience to your products, you need them to know about you and what you offer. Besides, the great importance of search engines, here are some other ideas, that will also, aid you in marketing your products online and increase hits on your website:
B- Online marketing methods:
Below is a glance about some of the additional online marketing programs, that will aid improving the sales of the websites’ products and services.
Find the right affiliate program as well as the right website to affiliate with, affiliate cooperation should be with in the theme of the company. We will discuss affiliate programs in other reviews.
2- Products & services vs. customers:
1- Enhance product or service offered to audience.
2- If possible offer your audience flexible services that they can tailor according to their needs and requirements.
3- Frequent promotions and sales offer on products, to tempt audience to buy from the website or return back, seeking promotions.
4- Improve products display to be more attractive.
5- Create a customers list.
6- Always keep in contact with old customers, old customers are always returning ones. Returning customers are valuable.
7- Announce latest products on e-newsletter targeting the right market, and also on the website home page.
3. Online banners advertising:
1. If possible and can afford the cost you can add banners on major, well known websites Ex: yahoo, msn, or you might also find other well known websites related to your service, if you can advertise or add your banner their go ahead.
2. Banners advertising is important for creating branding awareness, & for encouraging new or returning audience.
3. Advertise in Ezines.
4- Keep intouch with your clients through Auto Response methods:
For example you can create auto response e-mails to:
Follow up on leads.
Welcome new subscribers.
Follow up with old customers and entice them to re-use the website and the new products.
That was a complete overview, and ideas suggested to help in your online marketing campaign, & search engine marketing methodologies. Hope it can help you in your online business. I'll be glad to answer your inquiries or questions.